We live in a day of increasing energy shortages. The Christian life is not difficult; it is absolutely impossible, apart from the power of the Holy Spirit. Jesus said (John 15:5b), “apart from Me you can do nothing.”
So the Christian life must be the Spirit-filled life.
To walk wisely, to redeem the time in these evil days, to understand the will of the Lord and live in the light, we must be filled with the Spirit.
HOW CAN I HAVE A SPIRIT-FILLED LIFE?
A.What is the Filling of the Holy Spirit?
- Constant Yield to the Spirit’s Control (Galatians 2:20)
- Live According to God’s Word – Colossians 3:16, Paul says, “Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you.” A Word-filled Christian is the Spirit-filled Christian.
- Deeper Understanding and Surrender – Colossians 1:9-10 says, “Filled with the knowledge of His will in all understanding .. walk in a manner worthy of the Lord.. fully pleasing to God.. bearing fruit in every good work.”
- Granted Power for Extra Ordinary Acts of Service – 1 Corinthians 12: 4-10 (Gifts of the Spirit). We need that steady, quiet flow of His power for our daily needs, to overcome sin and to live in a godly manner. But there are special occasions where we need the downpour of the Spirit’s power to enable us to preach or witness or counsel or whatever the need may be.
- SHARE | How filled are we with the Holy Spirit? Rate as 5 is the highest.
B.How Can I Experience the Spirit-filled Life?
- Daily truth encounter
- Acknowledge the need
- Confess and forsake sins.
- Walk by faith and not by feelings
- SHARE | What should we do to experience the Spirit more?
C. How Can I know that I am Filled with the Holy Spirit?
- Ever Deepening Christlikeness
- Fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23)
- Christ-like Conduct (Galatians 5: 19-21) – victory over the flesh.
- Christ-like love and service.
- Heartfelt Worship and Gratitude – Ephesians 5:19-20 (psalms, hymns, spiritual songs, making melody to the Lord)
- Godly Relationships (Ephesians 5:21- 6:9)
- Submit to one another as husband and wife
- Children obey and honor parents
- Parents as not provoking their children
- Obey earthly masters
- Non-threatening masters
- SHARE | In what area of my life do I need to see God’s Spirit at work?