“Let brotherly love continue.” Hebrews 13:1
SIX ESSENTIAL W’S TO DISCIPLING PEOPLE
- Always start with the Bible, God’s Word. Since “All Scripture is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting
and training in righteousness” (2 Timothy 3:16) all discipleship is simply about getting people into
the Word and getting the Word into them.
- The Word does the big share of the discipleship. It teaches, rebukes, corrects, and trains.
- If you are not a good teacher, let the Word teach. If you are too timid to rebuke, let the Word rebuke. If you do
not know what to correct, let the Word correct.
- SHARE | What are the practical ways of showing our respect for God’s Word?
- After we establish people in the Word, we must help disciple them in a lifestyle of worship. When I say
worship, we are not talking about twenty minutes of singing on Sunday morning.
- Paul described real worship. “In view of God’s mercy, offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and
pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship.” (Romans 12:1) In discipleship, we must teach
people to engage corporate worship (singing at church on Sunday) as well as sacrificially giving all to God
Monday through Saturday (true & proper worship).
- SHARE | How do show our true worship every day?
- Since people spend much more time at work than at church, discipleship must connect with the workplace.
- How does a person apply God’s Word in the office? Biblical discipleship should help him to be better at his
work, rather than coasting at the office waiting for the weekend.
- Undiscipled people endure their jobs all week waiting for Friday and Saturday night parties. Undiscipled
religious people endure work all week waiting for Sunday morning worship. Both are wrong.
- Real disciples see work as a calling and serve, honor, and worship God through their work.
- SHARE | How does our work show our worship to God?
- It is impossible to disciple people without dealing with what the Bible says about sexual boundaries
- Gifted Christians, from King David to Samson to modern preachers, have wrecked their lives by crossing
biblical boundaries with the opposite sex. Married and single are equally vulnerable, and guilty.
- SHARE | How do our relationships destroy or strengthen our faith in God?
- Like sexual boundaries, it is impossible to really disciple men without dealing with the root of all evil.
Referring to money, Jesus said we cannot serve two masters, but many people try anyway.
- Money is an emotional and personal issue because it is a heart issue.
- When it comes to discipling people about money, we suggest you let the Word do the teaching, rebuking,
correcting, and training when it comes to money. And let your example of generosity, integrity, discipline,
and faith shout AMEN to what the Word says about wealth and money.
- SHARE | How does our attitude about money affect our faith and vice versa?
6: GOD’S WILL
- The final of the big 6, is to help a person discern God’s will for his life. The best way to know God’s will is to
refer back to point #2 above.
- If you give your life as a living sacrifice on God’s altar, “then you will be able to test and approve what
God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.” If a person is unwilling to live a life of sacrifice, he
will never fully know God’s good, pleasing and perfect will for his life.
- So, if you want to disciple, boldly call them to sacrifice.
- SHARE | Are we able to follow this: God’s will should be done through God’s way and in God’s