“For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve others and to give his life as a ransom for many.” Mark 10:45 (NLT)
We serve God by serving others.
- The world defines greatness in terms of power, possessions, prestige, and position. In our self-serving
culture, acting like a servant is not a popular concept. God determines your greatness by how many people
you serve, not how many people serve you.
- Having the heart of a servant is even more important than having the abilities.
The heart of the servant has experienced the love of God & would want to share it with others.
- God often tests our hearts by asking us to serve in ways we’re not gifted at. While you may not be gifted for
a particular task, you may be called to do it if no one gifted at it is around. Be available and not be choosy.
God will eventually put you to your intended place after He has tested your availability.
- Your ability reveals your ministry, but your servant’s heart will reveal your maturity.
SHARE | Since your ability (or talents) reveal your identity and ministry (service to others), what are your talents which would be of great service to the Lord and the world? Why do you think your talents would be glorifying to God and to uplifting to others?
HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOU HAVE THE HEART OF A SERVANT?
1: Real Servants Make Themselves Available to Serve (AVAILABLE)
- They don’t fill up their time with other pursuits that could limit their availability.
- They make time for what is necessary.
2: Real Servants Pay Attention to Needs (ATTENTIVE)
- They are always on the lookout for ways to help others.
- It may not be them who will do it directly but they are sensitive to others needs & are ready to adjust to them.
3: Real Servants Do Their Best with What They Have (ACT ACCORDINGLY)
- They don’t make excuses, procrastinate, or wait for better circumstances.
- If its possible and is in accordance with God’s will, they will surely extend help.
4: Real Servants Do Everything with Equal Dedication (DEDICATED)
- Do everything with all their heart. The size of the task is irrelevant, the only issue is: does it need to be done?
5: Real Servants are Faithful to their Ministry ( DEPENDABLE)
- They finish their tasks, fulfill their responsibilities, keep their promises and complete their commitments.
- They don’t leave a job half undone, and they don’t quit when they get discouraged.
6: Real Servants Maintain a Low Profile ( HUMBLE)
- They don’t promote to call attention to themselves. Instead of acting to impress and dressing for success, they
put on the apron of humility to serve one another.
- If recognized for their service, they humbly accept it but don’t allow non-recognition to distract them from
SHARE | Of all the 6 mentioned indicators for knowing if you have a servants heart, choose two that are true to you and two that aren’t. Explain “why.”
God is always fair. He will remember how you helped his people in the past and how you are still helping them. You belong to God, and he won’t forget the love you have shown his people. – Hebrews 6:10 (CEV)